Elizabeth City / Pasquotank County is currently in need of a new Economic Development Director to maintain and promote Elizabeth City / Pasquotank County’s reputation for proactive, attentive, and effective economic development. The Economic Development Director acts as a first point of contact for businesses seeking to locate or expand in Elizabeth City / Pasquotank County. This position provides guidance to businesses through the City and County approval process. This position will develop comprehensive business growth across all sections, and improved quality of life for all Elizabeth City / Pasquotank County community members. The incumbent must have a good understanding of real estate development process and finance, including understanding of development operating and capital proformas.
Duties and Responsibilities
Essential Duties and Tasks
- Serves as a point of contact for businesses, developers and contractors who use City economic development services, including financial assistance, site selection assistance, tax increment financing, and other municipal actions and services related to a specific project.
- Promotes economic development in the City of Elizabeth City / Pasquotank County through personal contacts with existing/new businesses and professional development groups.
- Participates in and/or conducts negotiations with developers, businesses, and others regarding the public participation necessary for desired economic development.
- Helps administer the City / County’s economic development incentive programs.
- Conducts tax and public benefits analyses for economic developments.
- Analyzes both short-term and long-term opportunities and constraints facing the local economy.
- Establishes project schedules, project budgets, and compliance requirements.
- Works with other to assemble cost estimates for various public actions, such as land acquisition, relocation, demolition and public improvements.
- Serves as staff for the Elizabeth City / Pasquotank County Development Corporation.
- Assists in developing and maintaining a comprehensive inventory of available buildings and sites, in and adjacent to the community, for economic development purposes.
- Prepares and maintains information on utilities, taxes, zoning, transportation, community services, demographics, financing, and other data sheets and topics related to marketing the community for economic development.
- Provides input on marketing materials such as brochures, handouts, maps, graphics, charts, tables, promotional materials, press releases, etc. for economic development activities.
- Responds to requests for information from development prospects and other interested parties.
- Maintains the Commission’s website.
- Demonstrates excellent problem solving, public presentation, communication and organization skills.
- Prepares memoranda, reports and other documents for a range of audiences and presents recommendation to policy making bodies.
- Serves as liaison to a variety of departments, commissions, committees and agencies; provides presentations to the same.
- Attends meetings, conferences, workshops and training sessions and reviews publications and audiovisual materials to become and remain current on the principals, practices and new developments in economic development.
- Performs work in a confidential nature.
Recruitment and Selection Guidelines
Knowledges, Skills, and Abilities
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Products or the equivalent, WordPress and social media platforms.
- Working knowledge of municipal zoning, infrastructure and planning programs and processes.
- Understanding of real estate development process and finance, including understanding of development operating and capital proformas.
- Must successfully negotiate financial and other public actions with developers, businesses, and their representatives.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and methods of effective local economic development.
- Must establish and maintain effective working relationships with industry and business representatives.
- Coordinate special projects teams and multiple projects and to respond quickly to prospective leads.
- Able to identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations.
- Must have attention to detail and follow-through; excellent organizational skills.
- Must have admirable communication skills, both orally and in writing, using both technical and non-technical language.
- Prepare and present accurate and reliable reports, containing findings and recommendations.
- Must perform a wide variety of duties and responsibilities with accuracy and speed under the pressure of time-sensitive deadlines.
Desirable Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Business Administration, Real Estate, Marketing, Economics, Public Administration, Finance, Community and Regional Planning or related field.
- Five years of experience in the field of community development, economic development, redevelopment, real estate, business financing, or related field.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Marketing, Economics, Public Administration, Finance, Community and Regional Planning or related field.
- Ten years’ experience in the field of economic development, community development, redevelopment, real estate, business financing, or related field.
- Certified Economic Developer (CEcD), graduate of the Economic Development Institute, National Development Council certification.
Work performed in an office environment includes exposure to computer screens. Primary functions require:
- Sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office setting.
- Sit and answer phones / use computer equipment on a continuous basis.
- On a frequent basis, must be able to stand, walk, sit, talk and reach with hands and arms.
- Operate office equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination, including use of a computer keyboard.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Interested in serving as our Economic Development Director? Submit your cover letter and resume electronically to:
Elizabeth City-Pasquotank County Economic Development Commission
In care of Kathy Harris: firstname.lastname@example.org
Resumes must be received by March 19, 2021
Questions? Call 252-338-0169